According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, geothermal systems are “the most energy-efficient, environmentally clean, and cost effective space conditioning system available today.” That’s because geothermal system taps into the earth to capture free, renewable energy.
The earth absorbs about 47% of the sun’s energy that reaches it, storing that energy in the ground. A geothermal system extracts that free energy for heating during winter. For cooling, the system removes heat from the home and dumps it into the cooler earth.
This transfer of heat energy is done through a series of pipes buried in the ground, or sunk in a pond, or by using well water.
- Savings – Generally, no other heating and cooling system offers lower operating costs, with savings up to 60% compared to ordinary systems.
- Comfort – These systems provide even temperatures throughout the home year round, with excellent dehumidification during cooling.
- Environmentally Sound – Geothermal is a clean, green, and renewable technology to reduce your carbon footprint now and for future generations.
- Quiet Operation – Unlike ordinary air conditioners and heat pumps, no outdoor unit is required. Carrier geothermal units use heavy-duty, fully-insulated cabinets for quiet operation.
- Flexibility – Heating, cooling and supplemental water heating from a single unit. And a wide variety of models and options to fit most any application.
- Free Hot Water – During unit operation, free excess heat can be used to supplement the home’s water heater.
- Energy Independence – Geothermal systems reduce our need to import fuel.